It’s hard to believe that it was only a year ago that I started this blog, but it’s true. With a rather pathetic recipe for chocolate cupcakes, Slow Like Honey was born. After 377 posts and over 1300 comments, my blog has grown into something bigger than I have ever thought. Who knew it’d be so much fun writing about things I love and taking pictures of everything I adore?! I hope you guys stick around for another year, who knows what is going to happen!
I’ve met some great people and shared tips with Robin, Kristin, Steph, Nicole, and the lovely Joy. Every time I see posts from Helene, Bea, Heidi, and Elise, I get inspired to try new techniques, and new ideas start forming in m brain. I’ve also learned that there is no need to be scared of the kitchen, a sentiment a lot of younger people share. “Get in there, play around and don’t be afraid to get messy” is my motto.
In honor of my blog’s birthday, instead of debuting another recipe, I wanted to do a little roundup of my old favorite recipes, and also share a fun little list I saw on Elastic Waist. It’s kind of nice to take a slight breather from baking nonstop, which is what I’ve been doing all week!
Some of my favorite recipes include the following:
- Carrot Cake: this is one of my most requested items. My mom has started to take orders for this cake! Seriously!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake: this is the most popular recipe on this website. Even now, my friend’s crave this cake.
- Macaroni & Cheese: I think that this takes the regular Mac & Cheese to the next level. It might even beat the blue box :)
- Perfect Party Cake: as far as aesthetics go, this was one of the prettiest cakes I’ve made. Not to mention, it was super sweet with a crunchy coconut bite. And the frosting was addicting!
- One Bowl White Chocolate Pecan Cookies: Jill O’Connor became my hero when she wrote this recipe. Don’t even make these if you are a fellow cookie monster like me.
Now on to the lists of five a la Elastic Waist…
Five People (Dead or Alive) I Would Invite to My Ideal Dinner Party (Catered)
- Jackie Onasis
- Martha Stewart
- Audrey Hepburn
- Johnny Depp (can he be dessert?!)
- J.K. Rowling
Five Things I Am Afraid Of
- Dying in a plane crash
- Sarah Palin
- Running out of money
- Hair in the bathroom
Five Books That Make Me Happy
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
- Dry by Augusten Burroughs
- Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
- Sticky Chewy Messy Gooey by Jill O’Connor
- Rachel’s Holiday by Marian Keyes
Five Impressions I Have Attempted
- Britney Spears
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Paula Deen
- Fat Bastard from Austin Powers
- The ultimate stressed out PR girl
Five Things I Have Done at Work (Instead of Working)
- Edited pictures for my blog.
- Wrote posts for my blog.
- Browsed through my cookbooks.
- Applied for other jobs.
- Gone golfing with a co-worker :)
Five of My Favorite Adjectives (Not Alphabetical)
Five Awfulnesses I Would Eradicate Immediately, If Given the Opportunity and a Little Red Button
- World hunger.
- Cancer, in all its forms.
- Any size of clothing below 4′s.
- Heidi Montag & Spencer Pratt
Five Blogs I’m Addicted to
Five Things I Wish I Had But Do Not
- A personal driver.
- More self confidence.
- The ability to make eye contact in conversations.
- Oprah’s bank account.
- The power to turn off my inner critical voice that is hell bent on critiquing everything I do.
Five Ways to Win My Eternal Affection, Eternally
- Offer to have a “Bake Day” and show me new techniques.
- Buy me cups of coffee when I start to rub my eyebrows like a maniac.
- Force ice cream down my throat when I start to get weepy or bitchy.
- Talk about a recent episode of Jon Stewart of Stephen Colbert.
- Whisk me away to a far-off destination with appropriate sleeping pills for the plane ride.
Five Fails That I Enjoy Anyway
- Waking up with a perky attitude
- Folding my laundry
- Maintaining eye contact with cute boys :)
- Returning phone calls.
- Keeping a clean kitchen.
My Five Favorite Expressions
- You know what I mean?
- Wine & dine.
Five Things I Will Be When I Grow Up
- Nancy Drew (book version, not movie).
- Martha Stewart
- Sleeping Beauty
- Carmen Sandiego
- Ice cream taste tester
Five Things On My Life-Long To-Do List
- Learn how to fly my own plane
- Master the art of all things yeast.
- Run a marathon.
- Learn to be satisfied with what I have, not what I want.
- Take a year off and travel the world.
Since it’s my blog-day, I order you all to take a break, eat a yummy cookie, and enjoy your day. Now get to it!