When you get caught up in the rush of trying new things, you forget about your old favorites. It’s really easy in New York too, where the dining possibilities are endless. Honestly, I could show you a list of the places I want to try and it is a doozy. I don’t really know when I will be able to actually visit them all while going back to my favorite spots. That seems like a lot of time, and money. And let’s be real, I’m not making it rain, cash-wise.
I made it my mission the past week to go back to old favorites, both in the kitchen and out in the city. I’ve been hitting up my favorite bakeries (oh hi, BirdBath, City Bakery), the restaurants that never let me down (ABC Kitchen, Peels, Freemans, Bubbys) and making one of my favorite kinds of cupcakes. I give you, Carrot Cupcakes.
Sweet, spicy with a dose of coconut and carrots. I like to think that carrot cupcakes are basically health foods (totally not, in case you were wondering) and allow myself to eat them for breakfast. But hey, it was a Monday and it seemed like a good idea at the time. I dare you to NOT eat one when it is staring you in the face at 7am. ON A MONDAY. (Need I repeat that?)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Fill muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, eggs, both sugars and vanilla and whisk until the mixture is pale in color. Fold in the flour mixture in thirds until just combined. Gently fold in the carrots and nuts. Divide the batter evenly among 24 cupcake liners, until each is almost full.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes over a wire rack, then remove cupcakes from pan.